Thursday 19 April 2007

Second Life



For me virtual reality, at least up until now, was something that exists only in fiction books, expensive Hollywood productions or most recently in the form of popular computer games that drive teenagers mad.

What I would have never thought though is that I would be discussing about virtual reality in a PR context. Well, what can I say…never say never, and always be open for the unexpected!

However, for IT professionals or any PR practitioner who considers him self a tech- savvy the idea of virtual reality and particularly Second Life is not at all new. In fact, from the little research I did, I think that Second Life is here to stay and stay for good.

Professionals nowadays discuss constantly about the impact of and how to capitalize on new technologies whether it is about social networking, podcasting, RSS or any of the so-called Web 2.0, or even for some Web 3.0 platforms, and how these affect communication. But, what’s next? Which do you think would be the future of the Web in the years to come? Paul Anderson, Technical Director of Intelligent Content Ltd., says that the "next step in the development of the Web is advanced 3D graphics...and Second Life is currently the easiest way to explore the implications of 3-D at an early stage."

From a PR perspective Second Life also offers great opportunities for businesses and institutions to capitalize on. Product development and testing, building brand awareness, advertising, product placement, market research are some of the aspects that Second Life can provide.

Some of the innovative businesses that are starting to explore the potential of this world are Adidas, Nissan, Reebok, Reuters, and CNET Networks.






Check out the 'reality' of Second Life...


More on Second Life

Reuters Second Life

Apple's Second Life


Business Week

The Coming Virtual Web

Big Spenders of Second Life

2 comments:

John Rowlands said...

Hey Eleni

Check out my blog for a link to PR on Second life with the firm Text 100. The regional director gives a compelling presentation, albeit with some slighty strange observations.

I agree that Second Life, or at least immersive 3D worlds, are here to stay. For me, it is a natural progression, the most social of social media, and the idea was just waiting for the technology to catch up and make it happen.

A lot of people are dismissive and very stereotypical when they consider the kinds of individuals that use SL, as they are of anyone that enjoys computer simulations and games. The truth is, the demographic of users is nothing like what it would have been 15 years ago. Such entertainments are far more broadly diffused than evet before, with some thanks (grudgingly) going to SONY for that.

All in all, it ensures SL and such worlds is a far more attractive prospect for business, and when theres business, there's PR!

Nic said...

I am totally fascinated by Second Life, having only just been introduced to its crazy world last week with John's amusing presentation.
What puzzles me though, is the insistence that it can be used to great effect in PR. Obviously, innovations such as the existence of Domino's Pizza places in the Second Life realm are a great advertising platform for a brand. But I don't understand the concept of product introduction and testing within Second Life. Letting users pass judgement on a virtual version of a product is a good way to promote it and get feedback on initial visual impressions but I don't understand how users are supposed to be able to 'test' products. Am I just being really dense?
If I remember correctly, we live in REALITY (although I have my doubts, particularly when it comes to Debz), where our everyday lives are goverened by interactions facilitated by sight, sound, taste, touch, smell, and so on. When you drive a new car, you can FEEL it (and SMELL that strange but addictive new car odour!), when you eat or drink something you can TASTE it... you get the picture. Second Life does not provide an opportunity for real, human interaction, only reality can do that. I just don't get it.
And I've said, I can see some of its adavantages but I don't think product testing is one of them and I was surprised at how much it is being trumpeted by adopters. A scary thought, as pondered upon by Trudy in class that day, is the ever-more possible prospect that one day technology might allow us to actually experience all sensations through virtual means. Like some kind of Willy Wonka style world online.
I don't know about most people, but I'd take real life anyday. Willy Wonka is a bit creepy-looking (except the Johnny Depp incarnation).